A Woman Visible

Search for beauty. Search for adventure. Search for the visible you.

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Response was Deafening and Delicious

I was a little taken aback at the overwhelming response to my last post. At first I was going to post this as a response in the comment section of the blog, but then I realized that I'd written a post, not just a comment. Because of this, I decided to make a post with my comments. Here it is:

Wow! So many comments, so little time! Thanks to all of you for the great insights, corrections, and general discussion here.

Marionette: Thank you for the insight on Jean Grey. I've never been a real fan of this character, but you've made me really reconsider. Still, I have to wonder about the whole Mastermind thing. It seemed a bit contrived. I have to wonder why, with all of the power that Phoenix had at that point, she didn't fight him a lot sooner and a lot harder. Still, I like your "18 wheeler" analogy. The "everyone has evil tendencies" argument just really doesn't wash with me. I still love the storyline, otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out what I did to purchase and re-read the story arc. I just think that sometimes the women of comics get the short end of the stick.


Oh, and thanks for the heads up about Andrew. I will do more research, and dig deeper. I wouldn't want to end up losing characters I love.

ARJ: I had totally forgotten Hal Jordan, but he's the only male character that I can recall that has had and experience like this.

100LittleDolls: I'm not really fond of this whole "going crazy because I can't have babies thing" either. I would say it is completely unrealistic, but honestly, I know someone that did have that happen. She went over the edge, and ended up destroying herself and her family.


I think Wanda did consider adoption at one point, but for some reason (I think it had to do with her lifestyle), it didn't work. I also believe that she became obsessed with having babies (I think that had a lot to do with her divorce from Vision).

To all of you:Thanks for such a lively, and energized discussion. I often post things like this because I want to hear what others have to say. Even if I don't completely agree with what you have to say, it's very cool to see that others are thinking about such crazy things.
I have learned much more than I ever thought I would when I posted my thoughts this weekend. Keep up the comments and I'll continue to try and respond.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger ARJ said…

    Also the reason I feel like Hal Jordan isn't a *great* example is that he is currently a) alive, and b) back in the GLC. Sure, he's still dealing with fallout from what he'd done, but it's kinda like some of the worst consequences of his actions have been erased.

    I can't really think of any other male characters either, but I am a comics newbie & still familiarising myself with all the different storylines out there.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Willena said…

    JESS SEND me your address on my personal email

    i came to tunisia without it

    i have the damdest time with this french arabic leyboard

    willena

     

Post a Comment

<< Home