A Woman Visible

Search for beauty. Search for adventure. Search for the visible you.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Not-so-girley-girl gets a Skirt!


By now, many of you know that I am not exactly the girliest of girls in the world. To me, comfort is a nice pair of denim shorts, a t-shirt, and a pair of worn Keds. Still, I feel like I getting more in touch with my "girley-girl" side this year than I ever have before, and shockingly, I like it. So, I've been reading books about being a woman, have started becoming a fan of The Oprah Magazine, and have really sat down and considered what it means to be a woman doing what I do.

Yesterday, "Girley-girl Jess" got excited. I was reading the newspaper (I have time right now because I've been sick the last two days), and I saw an ad in the Living section. It was for a new magazine coming to Atlanta expressly for Atlanta-area women called Skirt.

According to the website,Skirt is "
all about women…their work, play, families, creativity, style, health and wealth, bodies and souls. Skirt! is an attitude…spirited, independent, outspoken, serious, playful and irreverent, sometimes controversial, always passionate." Sounds pretty impressive. I went to the website to see what more I could learn about the magazine (I also wanted to check out the contributor's guidelines). It turns out that the magazine is published in several cities, including Savannah and Charleston (imagine, they get something cool before Atlanta, that city internationale, does). It also turns out that there might be a place for a writer like me (I won't make millions, but it's a start).

What's cool is that the magazine is pretty interactive. There is a contest every month, and a pretty active message area for members (membership is free). You can even order a copy of the magazine for free (mine is on the way in May). The magazine is thematic in nature, so there's a chance I could use any one of my articles from the blog and turn it into something nice for the magazine. The only thing that could be better is if I could actually work there.

As soon as I get my copy, I'll read and review it for you right here.

My Oprah Magazine Addiction Continues

On a separate magazine note, the new Oprah Magazine is out. Yes, I've become obssessed with this magazine. I guess I wouldn't care for it much, except that the writing is extraordinarily good. Even the kids have gotten used to me getting the magazine. Stuart saw it at Target last night, looked at
me and asked, "You want me to grab you a copy, mom?" So, of course, I couldn't resist. There's an article on office tension that looks promising, and there's an interview with the real Allison DuBois (she is the inspiration for the tv show Medium). Gina immediate got the magazine last night and found the Allison DuBois article. She's read more of the magazine than I have yet. Can't wait to read it!








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home