A Woman Visible

Search for beauty. Search for adventure. Search for the visible you.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

My first day in Philly--Part Two

After this, I went up to begin my day of conferencing. The sessions were actually interesting, but I was more than happy when lunch came. One of the teachers I travelled with and I went to lunch at Reading Market (pronounced red-ding). Reading Market
is an open market that sells just about everything in the universe, especially food. Going there for lunch is a bit overwhelming. I just wandered and stared for a while. Then we found the place that sold fresh seafood, and served seafood lunch. I had the best restaurant crabcake I've ever eaten, and paid a reasonable price. I then proceeded to find every chocolatier in the market. I bought some lovely "blueberry clusters" (chocolate covered blueberries), and came back for more conferencing. This evening, we went to Maggiano's, a lovely old-style Italian restaurant that is actually a chain. We have one in Atlanta, but I've never eaten there. The Chianti was a perfect compliment to the mushroom ravioli al forno I had for dinner. The cup of coffee completed the experience. Unfortunately, I did not have room for tiramisu or anything sweet.

Something curious, but not surprising, I suppose, happened yesterday afternoon, not long after I arrived. In a part of town called Germantown, a stone steeple from a 150 year old church building fell. This might not have been a big deal, except there were children at the church at the time. Thankfully, the children were evacuated, and no one was injured. Still, it was a big enough deal that the church has vowed to tear down what's left of that steeple. The church is an old gothic-style church, and it is a shame that it is apparently in enough disrepair that the structure is beginning to deteriorate.

Another weird thing that happened tonight: a guy walked into a pizza joint and swore he had a bomb strapped on. He told the crowded restaurant that someone had better call 911. Someone kindly complied (out of fear, no doubt), and the cops arrested him. Very scary.

Well, it's time for me to go to bed. I have a busy day tomorrow. I just wanted to catch up. Tomorrow and Saturday, pictures, I hope. I haven't taken many today because I was mostly in sessions, and I doubted very seriously that you (or my children) would be very interested in seeing a bunch of teachers talking shop. We find it stimulating, but we only account for less than 1% of the population, so I'm not going to bore you with silly pictures.

Have a blessed evening!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger beth said…

    Wow! It seems like you have had a pretty eventful experience so far in Philly. All of the food sounds great!

    A response to your comment on my site: I can image that working in a coffee shop would be pretty gross. I am not one for lots of foods and smells mixed together, so I would probably be really grossed out. I bet, though, that it was pretty intersting to work in a place with so much foot traffic!

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    Don't forget to get a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich...it's what the city is famous for!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home