A Woman Visible

Search for beauty. Search for adventure. Search for the visible you.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Shall we gather for coffee?



One of the things I wanted to do with this blog is create discussion and thought among my readers. To me, that's really what makes blogs so incredible--the chance for community. On my other journal, I have an almost weekly question called "The Writer's Weekly Question." I wanted to try for the same thing here, but instead of focusing on writing, I will focus on questions to consider concerning what it means to be visible, and how we can impact our visibility. One of the resources that put me on to this idea of visibility is a lovely book called Captivating! by John and Staci Eldredge. The premise of the book is that women often miss opportunities to be visible because we are so busy turning our backs on the very things that make us feminine. What I am finding to be quite wonderful about this book is that they aren't saying what most women's books from the Christian POV seem to say--namely that women are most feminine when we are working for our families and our church. The Eldredges say that isn't the case, and goes on to support the idea that women are on a search for beauty, adventure, and ultimately, visibility (that answer to the question, "Am I lovely?").

So, here it goes, the first


Coffee Klatch Discussion:
Consider the first time you felt visible, and share what you remember about that experience. Was it a good thing or a bad thing? Now, consider the last time you felt visible. What happened to cause you to be visible? How did you know you were visible?


I'll go ahead and share my answer, just to get the ball rolling. The first time I really felt "visible" was at a dance I went to in high school. I wore this dress that was red and off the shoulders. It was beautiful, and I felt beautiful and totally visible. The last time was at a wedding I attended in October. I wore this wonderful brown dress, and actually caught a man (yes, he was single) checking me out. Even though he sees me every Sunday, it felt like he was looking at me for the first time and seeing something other than just plain Jess. I felt beautiful all evening!

OK, this is how this will work:
  1. Anyone can participate in this discussion as long as you keep your comments on topic and clean (this is a "family" blog).
  2. You can post your comments here, or leave a link and post your comments in your own blog.




1 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger beth said…

    I don't think that I have been overwhelmed by a feeling of INvisibility in my life. However, there are times that definitely stand out as truly visible moments. One of the best moments was last year on my 23rd birthday. One of my friends colored my hair and did my make-up. We all went out for my birthday, and one of my guy friends gave me a hug and said, "You look stunning!" I was shocked. The first thing that came to mind to say was, "Thanks. You smell great." Let's just say, I probably need to learn how to take compliments.

    The last time I felt visible on a "beuaty" level was a couple of months ago. I went to church with another one of my guy friends and when he came to the door, he was stunned. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I could tell that he had seen me for a woman and not "one of the guys."

    I usually make myself visible through words. I tend to argue and I really like to be sure that someone understands my point. I got into an argument with a friend who people don't usually stand up to. I became very visible that night to a lot of people. I became stronger in their eyes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home